Wednesday 19 April 2017

Choosing a Theme

I've gone back to the idea of witches and witchcraft but rather than focusing on that as a theme, I've decided to look at the occult. I feel like this will offer me less restrictions and more ideas and themes to work with. I'm still not 100% on the context that I have in mind yet but I feel that once I've nailed down my theme and done some more research, I will be able to build on my context. I've done some initial research and begun to look at what the occult is, what it means and what its subcategories are

Occult - mystical, supernatural or magical powers, practices or phenomena
            - knowledge of the hidden
            - magic, alchemy, extra-sensory perception, astrology, spiritualism, religion, divination

Categories

Magic - the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces

Alchemy - a power or process that changes or transforms something in a myterious or impressive             way

Extra-sensory perception - the sixth sense, reception of infomation not gained through the recognized physical senses, but sense with the mind

Astrology - the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world 

Spiritualism - a system of belief or religious practice based on suppossed communication with the spirtis of the dead, especially through mediums 

Religion - the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power

Divination - the practice of seeking knowledge of the future or the unknown by supernatural means 


I've highlighted three areas of the occult that I think I'd be particularly interested in working around. I've also done a little more research into the three different categories to further understand what they include and figure out which one I'd be happy working with. 


Divination:
- Tarot Cards
- I Ching Diving Coins
- Runes
- Crystal Balls
- Scrying Mirrors 
- Pendulums 
- Tea Cups 
- Dowsing Rods
- Lithomancy Gemstones
- Palm Reading 

Astrology:
- Zodiac 
- Horoscopes 
- Lunar Cycles
- Star Divination 
- Constellations 
- Charts
- Maps
- Sun
- Moon
- Stars

Spiritualism 
- Seances
- Mediums 
- Ouija Boards
- Prophecy 
- Clairvoyance
- Gift of Tongues 
- Visions
- Raps
- Levitations 
- Automatic Writing
- Materialization
- Phantom Forms/Faces
- Luminous Appearances 








No comments:

Post a Comment