Monday 27 March 2017

Further Research into Starting Points

I've been really struggling with trying to figure out what it is that I want to base this module around. I feel like I've been thinking a little too much about it and getting myself wound up about finding the 'perfect' theme/concept to run with.

I've been doing some research into things that I actually find interesting and that I want to learn more about and draw more from. I had a quick look at urban myths/legends which kind of trailed off into looking at superstitions and then haunted locations. As interesting as this was I wasn't 100% that any of these topics might be for me so I moved onto looking at witches which is something that I've been interested in in the past and feel that I'd enjoy drawing around.

The research I did at first was quite broad and I was struggling to pin down whether I wanted to look at the historical witch hunts and focus on the kind of creepy/gory details that come from that time or wether I wanted to look at white witches/medicine women and try and work with them. I was almost certain that I didn't want to look into mythological/legendary witches because I don't usually work with things that aren't based in some kind of truth and fact.

But then I stumbled upon Baba Yaga, a witch from Slavic folklore. After reading a bit about her and looking at old stories about her I've decided that this is definitely something that I'm quite interested in. For me Baba Yaga embodies both the creepy/spooky element of witches that I was interested in and also the white witches/medicine women that I was interested in, as in stories she can either be a good or bad character. I feel there'll be a lot of imagery to work with in this project and am looking forward to finding out more about Baba Yaga and her history.

No comments:

Post a Comment