Monday 26 October 2015

OUIL404 - Line


This task asked us to choose a motif/figure/artefact from our visual subject and draw it 20 times, each time with a different line quality. I chose to draw one of the seaweed images for this task because it was quite simple and I thought that that would really give me an opportunity to experiment with line and see how different mediums can work. 


Ink and Brush
I really love the energy created when painting with ink, I think the line quality is fabulous, everything looks more playful and energetic. My lines are still a little feathered and wobbly as I'm not really used to painting but I'm sure with practice I can make this work well!

Ink and Hog Hair Brush
Chunkier brush, looks okay but not really my thing, the brush made it really hard to add detail or get certain shapes and lines how I wanted them, overall I'm not too keen. 

Dip Pen and Ink
Another cool way of applying ink! Love the varying thickness of the line, conveys that same energy and playfulness that you get with using ink and brush but on a more controlled level. 

Copic Pens
These looked okay and the pens were fun to use, I have an abundance of topics but don't really use them, I'm quickly realising that I limit myself in terms of the materials I work with mostly due to being scared I'm gonna screw up. This quality of line was pretty nice, chunky and bold, I much preferred the brush tip to the chisel tip though and I can't say I'm impressed on how much they bled through the pages of my sketchbook. 

Sharpe Fine Point
Bold, controlled line. Easy to use and easy to get down the shapes and liens you want to get down. 

Fineliner 0.2
I have always used fineliners, they are my go to materials, one that I know how to use and am comfortable with using. Unfortunately, you don't get a lot of character in your drawings from them, they're very fine and are useful for detailed drawings but I think they just lack energy. Saying that, I do like the quality of line and can see how it would be useful for some work. 

Fineliner 0.8 and Chinagraph Pencil
The thicker finalisers look a fair bit better I think, I'm quite liking the materials that create this chunky line, and the 0.8 finaliser and the chinagraph pencil both achieved this. I also really like the texture the chinagraph pencil gives, it's very waxy and crayon like but looks great!

Pencil - H, 2H, B, 6B
I didn't realise just changing the type of pencil would have such an effect on the line quality! The H and 2H pencils create very sharp, fine lines where the B and 6B pencil create much chunkier, heavier lines. I really like the 6B drawing, it stands out loads, looks super heavy and thick.

Through this task I have learnt that a lot of different materials can be used to create loads of different line quality, and in turn this line quality could express different ideas and feelings in your artwork. For example, ink and brush can create a playful, energetic feel to your work whilst fineliner might create a more serious tone. 

There are seven primary functions of line

1. To convey its own intrinsic beauty
2. To divide or limit an area or space
3. To delineate a thought or symbol
4. To define form by edge or contour
5. To catch and direct the eye over a given course
6. To produce a grey or tonal gradation
7. To create design or arrangement


Andrew Loomis. 1947

No comments:

Post a Comment